Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wrong Choice Made During My School Day?

After I completed my study for Junior Middle 3 during my secondary school days, like all my other classmates, I needed to make a choice for my Senior Middle session -- to study the subjects of science stream, art stream or commerce stream. Most of the adults, including teachers and my parents, would always advise that students who are good in science subjects should choose science stream. “Unfortunately” I scored A in all science subjects & thereafter I followed the majority of my classmates & chose science stream subjects for further study.

I enrolled myself to a course in a local university which only opened to science stream students. I learned technologies, mathematics & other technical and scientific subjects in this 3-year course.

After I graduated from the university and stepped into the real working environment, I realised that almost all the staff in management level have good knowledge in finance, account, business administration, etc., i.e. all commerce stream subjects. While most of the staff with science stream background remains in technical level, who are always led by commerce stream staff.

Not only the ability in managing and leading a company, people with commerce stream background can always create and run a successful business too. Hence I am thinking that people who wish to create and run a business should gain enough knowledge in finance, account, etc., like what I am now doing right now.

The above is just my personal experience and point of view. Feel free to give your view and correct me if there is anything wrong.

No comments: